Classic Christmas Cake Recipe
All purpose flour : 1/2 kg
Butter : 500 gms
Sugar : 500 gms
Candied peel : 1/2 kg (Soaked in rum for a month but that is optional)
Chopped Walnuts : 100 gms
Chopped Almonds : 100 gms
Chopped cashewnuts : 100 gms
Eggs : 10
Baking powder : 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence : 2 tsp
Orange marmalade : 3 tbsps
Dark rum : 1/2 cup
Cinnamon powder : 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg powder : 1/2 tsp
Preparation: How to make Christmas cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 F/ 180 C/.
- Spread the candied peel and chopped dried fruit on a clean counter surface or large plate and sprinkle a tbsp or two of flour over it and Toss to coat well.
- This prevents the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the cake while baking as a buffer gets created.
- Mix the remaining flour, nutmeg and cinnamon powder and baking powder together well.
- Prepare the cake tins by lining them lightly with butter or oil.Also cut a piece to place on top of the batter while cooking.
- Put Butter in a mixing bowl, add sugar and vanilla essence and whisk with the hand blender till the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one and continue to whisk till the mixture is light and very fluffy.
- Add the orange marmalade and keep whisking.
- Use a spoon and add a spoonful of flour at a time to the above batter while continuing to whisk.
- Add flour slowly and whisk till that lot is fully blended and the batter is smooth.
- Add the dark rum now and whisk till fully blended in the batter.
- Now add the candied peel and dry fruit to the cake batter, a little at a time and fold in very gently.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared, lined tins till half full. Place the small piece of baking paper on top.
- Bake for apx. 45 minutes . To check iof it is done , pierce a knife in the center If the knife comes out clean the cake is done. If not, keep cooking and check every 5 minutes to see if done.
- When cooked, allow the cake to cool completely.
- When cool, remove from the cake tin, slice and serve.