Malai Kofta : A rich Indian gravy dish
Malai Kofta is a very popular dish in North province of India…. It is rich , smooth and creamy in texture eaten with Indian breads.
Paneer : 250 gms
Bread crumbs : 1 cup
Garam masala : 1/4 tsp
Raisins (khismish) : 1 tbsp
Refined Flour maida : 1 tbsp
Salt : to taste
Oil for frying
For the gravy:
Refined Oil : 2 tbsp
Green cardamoms : 3-4 deceeded
Grated onion : 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste : 2 tsp
Green chilly : 1
Tomatoes (pureed) : 5 medium sized
Sugar : 2 pinch
Cashewnuts Paste : 1 tbsp
Cream : 3 tbsp
Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves : For garnish
Green chillies : For garnish
Red chilly powder : 1/2 tsp
Jeera powder : 1/2 tsp
Corainder powder : 1/2 tsp
Salt : To taste
Method : How to make malai kofta:
To make koftas :
- Grate the paneer and add the bread crumbs, salt , redchilli powder and garam masala to it. Mix and knead a soft dough of the mixture.
- Divide this mixture into 6 equal parts and take one part. makea ball, flat a little on your palm. Place 2 -3 raisins in the centre and then roll it back into either a ball or elongated shape kofta.
- Sprinkle 1 tblsp of maida on a plate and roll this kofta in it. Coat the kofta with the refined flour and keep aside.
- Repeat the same process with all the remaining balls.
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry the koftas with a light hand, when light golden brown take them out.
To Make the Gravy:
- Blanch the tomatoes, peel the skin and puree them. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tblsp oil in a kadai and add green cardamoms. Add 1 length wise slit green chilly and add grated onion. Fry till light golden then add ginger and garlic. Fry for another minute.
- Now add red chilly powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and salt.
- Add tomato puree and sugar. Let them simmer on medium flame for 8 – 10 mins or till oil separates.
- Now add the cashewnut paste little by little stirring all the while. Keep the flame low.
- Add some water and simmer for a minute. .Stir well and cook for another minute.
- Now add 2 -3 tblsp cream and garam masala. Mix well
- To serve in a platter place the koftas and then pour the gravy on top of it. Garnish with finely chopped green coriander and lengthwise slit green chillies.